Friday, August 4, 2017

Train to Win: Luck of the Draw

The second most important element of being competitive in cowboy fast draw is luck of the draw.  We have a tendency to use luck of the draw as an excuse for our placing.  We say we had a tough draw.  It is true that we have no control over the draw and sometimes it seems that it is unfair, but I would suggest over the long haul it all evens out.

I would also suggest that how we react to the draw is more important than the draw itself. I have heard shooters say they didn't have a chance and then list the four shooter who beat them.  Their reaction probably determined the outcome, not the draw.  When there were 15 left in the Four Corners, Half Cock Willie drew in succession Everett Hitch and Parttime. Turned out that was a tough draw for Everett and Parttime not Willie, he won both matches.  Old West in the main match drew Rodeo Romeo and Powder Keg twice, he won all three matches and was clean in the main match.

You can not control the draw but you can control how you react to it. Your attitude should be that you are the toughest and best gunfighter in the field.  Drawing a quick shooter is just an opportunity to excel.  It is your chance to put that shooter one x down.

Statistics show that the CFDA shooter gets better the more rounds they shoot.  If you are going to get that quick shooter it is better to draw him early. That is your best chance. Relish the opportunity.  Old West drew Powder Keg early and gave him 2 x s but that was not enough.  If Powder Keg gets to the magnificent shoot off, he will be a 4 flat shooter (.35-.45, better than 80%).  Even if you are 4 flat shooter yourself, he will at the lower end of that range.  He is a tough magnificent shooter.

Don't lament the draw! Relish the draw!

1 comment:

  1. I've never been afraid of the draw. It is what it is. I don't hit my stride until the 3rd or 4th round anyway. In Oklahoma I gave Xs to two very good shooters from that Bushwacker club in east Texas. I shoot with those guys a lot I got put out in the 7th round and talked to Parttime, who asked me how I was going.
    "I'm out." I replied.
    He told me that he was sorry, but not too sorry, because he was afraid he might draw me, and I had already been giving Xs to Bushwackers.

    I don't ever worry about the draw.

    ReplyDelete