Monday, September 18, 2017

The Finalized Draw.

I  think I may have turned some heads in Nebraska.  In one match I put a shot low on the plate and then followed it up with two more in the same hole.  You could have cover all three shots with a quarter. The sign of a finalized draw.  In another match, I put a hit just to the left of the light, about a half inch from the light, then put the second hit about a half inch from the light on the right and said to my hand judge "Next one in the middle."  The third shot was exactly in the middle although a little low.  The hand judge was still talking about it the next day, although really, "I was just foolin about" when I made the comment.
I don't know if it help me, the hand judge hit 80% as he put me out of the contest in two successive rounds the next day.

Although I brag about my finalized draw that is not to say I didn't have any accuracy problems.  The three shot quarter shots came when I was down 2 shots, having missed the first three.  At a venue like Nebraska, which is the toughest venue on the circuit, you just can't see your misses. If you have a finalized draw and your alignment is off you can go through match without hitting a shot. 

I had more than one match where I and the hand judge thought I was high when in fact I was low.  If you are off just a bit you can consistently drill those shots into successive misses. But don't ever change the draw.  The problem is the alignment, not the draw.  If you start changing the draw you are lost.  You will never be accurate.

All I can suggest if you are missing and can't find the target, guess. At Kansas, on the south range that has the same problem as Nebraska, I missed about ten in a row thinking I was shooting high. Finally I guessed, maybe I am low, and I was and then put three on the plate.  Don't have blind faith in the hand judge.  Many times a low hit right under the target will look like a high hit to the hand judge because the backstop above the target will move.  On range A, lane 4 at Nebraska, you will see a hit high and right because of a defect in the ballistic. I still have not figured out whether that is true hit or just the way the ballistic moves on a miss any where.

If you have a finalized draw you can still struggle to find the target.  Don't give up.  Help is on the way.  At Nebraska it is impossible to see your misses at 21 feet.  But the second chance match was shot at 15 feet and you could see ever hit, on the plate or on the backstop.  With the move to 15 feet at the World you can expect a much better hit percentage by all shooters because all will be able to see the exact location of the misses.  For us finalized draw shooters, it should be a walk in the park, just like shooting at the camp with that 8 by 40 foot wall.

Remember, "We don't practice missing!"

No comments:

Post a Comment