Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Stressors

I write this post at the prompting of Fowl Shot because he commented on a photo of Deadeye Daisy and I shooting in the final match of the jackpot shoot at Colorado. We were shooting for a CFDA gun.  The match was a repeat of the final match for the 2020 National Gunfigther Championship.  The result was the same.

I should have no chance against Deadeye Daisy because she is 20 millisecoonds quicker than me but so far I am winning.  The only reason I win is that she has not yet learned that she is the better gunfigther. There are quite a few gunslingers out there that are in the same position.  Once they learn they are quicker, I will have no chance.  That is what has happened with Shady. I used to be able to handle him, but now he knows he is 10 mls quicker and 10 mls is an eternity in fastdraw. Confidence is so important in fastdraw.  You have to believe you are the better gunslinger or you have no chance.

An interesting match at the Colorado State was the match in the finals between Deadeye Daisy and Flying Cowgirl.  Generally, Deadeye Daisy is more accurate and Flying Cowgirl is quicker. I have not talked to them about the match but I know what was going through their minds by just watching the match and the results.  There was little stress on Deadeye because she knew she was the slower shooter and if Cowgirl won she would be proud and happy for her daughter.  Flying Cowgirl on the other hand had to deal with the stress of wanting to hit the target.  She knew her mother was more accurate and if she wanted to win she had to hit the target.  Deadeye was free and loose and was just going shoot her quickest, that was all she could do. Cowgirl was careful because she knew she had to hit the target.  There was the stress of "I got to hit the target."  Deadeye Daisy won the match relatively easily on speed hitting down into the .38s while Cowgirl was shooting in the low 4s. For perspective, at their best, Deadeye will be down into the .38s and Cowgirl down into the .35s.

To be competitive, a gunfighter must deal with stress.  I do this by using the Alleluia Training and Competition System. It does work.  I am always looking for shooters who want to learn the system. Right now I have my eye on two shooters, one male and one female, who by the Arizona State should be Mag 7 shooters. Whether they want to try remains to be seen.  It is not easy. It is easy to learn, but to shoot it consistently is another matter.

My poor shooting at the Four Corners Territorial resulted from my abandonment of the Alleluia Training and Competition System.  It is easy to lose your focus.  It was my event to win, all I had to do was shoot average but I lost my focus and abandoned the system.

Now that I have told all these shooters that they can beat, just remember, "I ain't as slow as I look."

1 comment:

  1. Great advise. How does one sign up to learn the Alleluia Training and Competition System? We are in Wyoming until Labor Day.

    ReplyDelete