Monday, August 10, 2020

Starting Over with MAX III

Two weeks prior to the Springs I went back to the bucket but was not a fully engaged. It was enough to take me three days without a loss until my good friend, Buzzard, brought me back to reality in the final round of the main match of the Colorado State.  Ernie was watching and he suggested that he thought the Max III would bring me some additional speed.  Not one to avoid a challenge I am starting over with the new holster.  My goal is to be a 160/160/23 shooter in 30 days.  We shall see.

My plan is to get back to the bucket at least three days a week, with mirror and reaction training intersperse during the week.  Some of you may have noticed that on my practice gun which I shot clean in the jackpot shoot, I had a velco strip.  This is to hold a piezo for reaction practice. It has not seemed to help in the past but I am going give it another try.  I am a 200/200/23 shooter now.  I need to improve my reaction time.  Ernie thinks the Max3 will improve the draw time.

The Draw:  I have not been at the lip since 2016 and since the new holster is a little higher it seems to be a good time to get back there. To comply with Rule 17, I have straighten my stance a bit.  The main problem I have now is that some times I lose my focus and I will revert to my old stance.  One can not change draws or stances in the middle of an event.  30 days of bucket work should finalize this draw from a new holster.

 

I shoot the Alleluia Training and Competition System.  It does work.  I will start anew as soon as I get the Max3. I intend to post how it is going ever 7 days in the comments to this post. The gunfight on the Niobrara will tell the tale.

Just remember "I ain't as slow as I look." 

 

First Update:  I had a pretty good session on the mtn with the Max 2 today.  I started off with a .089 anticipation then followed it up with 13 hits within 6 inch circle with times ranging from .366 to .389.  I was using a new routine after the set command which seems to work.  Mean time was .377. I will use this as a base line to evaluate the Max 3.  

I received the Max 3 in the mail from Ernie this afternoon.  My initial impression is that it is going to be quicker.  We shall see.  Here is the difference:

Max 2:

 

Max 3:

My initial impression is that it will be quicker.  In the mirror it seems to set the cylinder of the gun right over the pocket which means the muzzle clearly extends past the lip.  I am going forego the flash guard for a while to use the gunfighter badge to gauge the location of the cylinder.  It is three months early for grail fever, but what the hey, Fallon has been cancelled.




No comments:

Post a Comment