Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Backups and Mental Toughness

Every serious gunfighter needs at least one backup gun.  To the extent possible, it should be the same make and model as your competitive gun and should be tuned the same way with the same hammer pull and trigger pull.  When you pick it up it should feel the same and shoot the same.  But that is not enough.

You need to shoot your backup gun a lot, not only in practice but in competition.  Your backup is ready when you reach the point that you really don't know which gun you shoot better.  If you seriously consider before a major competition which gun you should shoot, then your backup is ready.

This is all important because it ties into mental toughness.  Mental toughness really is nothing more than confidence.  When you go to the line you must believe that you are a roll and it is time to bring the next shooter.  If you have had to go to your backup gun, if you know that your backup gun is as good or better than your competition gun, nothing has changed, "bring me the next shooter."

You only get to this level of confidence by using the backup gun.  Shoot it from start to finish at your next club match.  Win with it.  So far this year, I have a 2nd at the Southern Territorial with my competition gun, and a 2nd at Oklahoma State with my backup.  Does not matter when one breaks, bring me my backup and the next shooter, I ain't lollygagging and I ain't missing with either.

No comments:

Post a Comment