Thursday, August 20, 2020

Seven day Update

 I write this post because I said I would and to record my thoughts for myself.  There is really about four changes going on which I will try to segregate.

The Holster:  I think the Max 3 is about 10 millisecond slower than the Max 2 for me right now. That is really pretty good considering I have only 7 days and 250 rounds into it.   That number comes from my mean time on 15 test rounds starting first thing in the morning.  Couple things that I have noted.  The Max 3 has considerable barrel wobble and a significant butt wobble.  I think this comes from the fact that my competition guns do not have sights.  I tried a New Vaquero with sights on it and the gun was secure both for barrel wobble and butt wobble.  The barrel wobble I don't think will be a problem but the butt wobble was definitely a distraction for me between the set command and the light. WOW suggested a small slot for the trigger guard.  I did this by Dremel and I think that has solved the butt wobble.

If you order a Max 3 and you do not have sights on your guns I would suggest you tell Ernie that and he may adjust for that.  I think the barrel wobble is within limits but if it is not, a leather strip will have to be added in the boot.

The Draw:  I am trying to draw nearer the pocket. From the gunfighter badge, it is clear that I am not there yet.  The higher holster and new stance has resulted in the badge being higher on side.  I will continue to work on this.  I want to get down to where Hi Strung is on this. Less gun travel should mean quicker.

The Stance:  I am trying to shoot from a more upright stance.  This moves the barrel forward and is easier on my old body.  When I shoot the new stance I am pretty accurate.  The problem is that I tend to lose focus and revert back to old stance trying to go fast.  This is what happened at the Four Corners.  Yesterday, shooting in two competitive matches I shot 21 rounds at 95% accuracy with no hit less than 6 inches from the light.  All shots were from the new stance, no lapses of focus.  I have thirty days to finalize this new stance.  Should be enough time.  I posted previously I am now doing bucket work from 10 feet on the light.  I think that has helped.  It is important that I stay focus and not try to lean back for speed. 

Post Set Command Routine:  I am using a new post set command routine. On average, I would say that it is about 20 to 30 mls quicker. Yesterday, my last three shots at championship distance were almost identical times which were about 25 mls quicker than what is normal for me.

Fairly happy with the progress.


Just remember "I ain't as slow as I look," and "I don't practice missing!"


Final Update:  I have given the Max III a fair trial and have not gotten any improvement of speed from the holster.  I have returned to the Max II.  I have improved timewise because of the new post set comment routine.  Today baseline was .363 twice to .385 with the Max II.

12 comments:

  1. Well, with your complaints, you should be using a MAX3MC. Heavy on your toes and light on your heels, push your knees forward to obtain your stance. Try to roll your hips forward and up just a bit for final stance and push your belt buckle towards the target at the light. Points to consider, helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. .400 mean time today. Going write a new blog about the Sage of the Mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, it helps. Ruah shooting today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really slow yesterday. Heat must be slowing me down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Max 3 finally caught up with Max 2 on speed today. No Gunfighter badge on on shirt so I may have been leaning back more. Anyway pretty today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speed pretty good yesterday. Best was a .308 but it was a 4 second light and I was primed to go. At about 50 to 70 percent use on new post set command routine, hard to remember to use but definitely quicker when I use it. Still high on badge but will not work on that till after Nebraska.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shady took marbles today. Still too slow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have that holster issue, too (no sights). Definitely going to try the dremel trick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the holster issue has been removed, but I can guess from the "trick". Another case of good intentions screwing with what most folks are used too. The cure is a MAX whatever MC. I have heard he is working on reducing the size of the MC part a bit, but have no confirmation on that.

      Delete